A spin on traditional buckwheat blinis, these are easy to make, naturally sweetened, and a flawless breakfast or brunch item with infinite ways to customize delicious family friendly toppings.
- Preparation 2 hours
- Cook 10 minutes
- Serves 3-4
- 1/2 cup Bob's Red Mill All Purpose flour
- 1/3 cup Bob's Red Mill buckwheat flour
- 4 teaspoons coconut sugar
- 1 1/4 teaspoons active dry yeast (can replace with an equal amount of baking powder)
- 1/4 teaspoon (generous) salt
- 1 cup whole milk
- 3 tablespoons butter, cut into cubes
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
Toppings (customize to your liking!)
- Creme Fraiche or vegan creamy alternative
- Smoked Salmon
- Just Pomegranate Molasses
- Fresh Dill Sprigs
- Ruby Red Grapefruit
- Whisk first 5 ingredients in medium bowl.
- Place milk and butter in small saucepan. Stir over low heat until butter melts and thermometer registers 110°F (if mixture gets too warm, cool until temperature returns to 110°F). You can eyeball this! Pour warm milk mixture into flour mixture and whisk until smooth. Cover with plastic wrap and let stand in warm area until doubled in volume, 1 to 1 1/2 hours, less time required if using baking powder - simply look for some increase in volume and don't overthink it!
- Whisk buckwheat batter to deflate it; then whisk in eggs. Do ahead
- Preheat your oven to 200°F. Heat a large skillet over medium heat, and brush lightly with butter or olive oil. Working in batches, pour 2 Tbsp batter for each blini onto the skillet or griddle. Cook until bubbles form on top and begin to pop, about 1-2 min. Turn blinis; cook until golden brown on bottom, another 1-1.5 minutes.
- If you'd like to keep them warm as you prepare the rest, you can transfer to a baking sheet, tent with foil and keep in a warm oven.
- Arrange warm blinis on platter. Spoon 1 tsp crème fraîche atop each, followed bye smoked salmon, a dill sprig, and a squeeze of Just Pomegranate Molasses. Serve with slices of grapefruit and your choice of brunch cocktail - we went with grapefruit bellinis!
Inspired by Epicurious