Jalapeno Zucchini Cornbread
Pack some vegetables in your favorite side dish with this Jalapeno Zucchini Cornbread! It’s fluffy and just slightly sweet, with a hint of spice. A delicious Thanksgiving side, but perfect with a stew, soup, or just on its own. (vegan & gluten-free).
- Preparation 20 minutes
- Cook 30 minutes
- Serves 4-6
- 1 tablespoon flax meal + 2 1/2 tablespoons water
- 1 cup unsweetened non-dairy milk + 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 1/2 cups fine cornmeal
- 1/2 cup oat flour
- 1 1/2 tablespoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2 tablespoons Just Date Syrup
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil, avocado oil or grapeseed oil
- 1 cup zucchini, grated and packed
- ½ cup corn
- 2 jalapeños, seeds removed and chopped, plus slices for topping
- Preheat oven to 400F. Lightly grease an 8×8-inch pan.
- In a small bowl, combine flax meal and water to make a flax egg; place in the fridge. In another small bowl, stir together milk and vinegar. Let the mixtures sit for 10 minutes.
- In a large bowl, place cornmeal, oat flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt; stir.
- In the bowl with the milk mixture, add the flax egg, applesauce, Just Date Syrup and oil. Whisk to combine.
- Slowly pour wet ingredients into the dry ingredients. Stir until just combined. Fold in zucchini, corn and jalapeno until the vegetables are evenly incorporated throughout the batter.
- Pour the batter into the greased pan. Bake for 27-32 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean. Remove from the oven; let the bread cool in the pan for a few minutes before cutting.
Inspired by Emilie from Emilie Eats